Africa is the world's second-largest and second most-populous continent, after Asia. At about 30.2 million km² (11.7 million sq mi) including adjacent islands, it covers 6% of the Earth's total surface area and 20.4% of the total land area. With a billion people (as of 2009) in 61 territories, it accounts for about 14.72% of the world's human population.
The continent is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, both the Suez Canal and the Red Sea along the Sinai Peninsula to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast, and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. The continent has 54 sovereign states, including Madagascar, various island groups, and the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, a member state of the African Union whose statehood is disputed by Morocco.
Africa holidays and their impact on the local communities
From the vast deserts of the Sahara and Kalahari to the cloud forests and volcanoes of the Great Rift Valley, Africa is still nature's continent. Without doubt the wildlife is the most varied and prolific to be found anywhere, but there's also the unique peoples - the Maasai, Kikuyu, Ndebele and Dogon to name but a few. All this, coupled with the unique light and atmosphere of Africa makes it an unforgettable place to visit. We realize that tourism can help preserve the wonderful diversity of wildlife that many travel to Africa to see. However, with increasing population pressures, tourism also has the ability of bringing much needed economic benefits to the rural communities.
Why book a holiday in Africa?
- The local Group Leaders and are often told by clients that their leader ‘made the trip’.
- The passion they show for their country and enthusiasm for sharing their knowledge ensures your travels in this region will be memorable.
- They have been leading holidays for many years so they know the trails inside out and you will see the most beautiful landscapes Africa has to offer
- For helping the local community
- For the chance to visit renowned wildlife sanctuaries